CLIMB Healthy Lifestyles - Grades 8-11
CLIMB Healthy Lifestyles - Grades 8-11
Offered by Wentworth Douglass Hospital in partnership with Zebra Crossings
March 8 through May 2, 2013
CLIMB - Make a lifestyle change and improve overall health!
CLIMB is a program for teens who wish to improve their lifestyle and overall health. Participants and their families will work with the Lifestyle Team to gain the following skills and opportunities to:
- Make good food choices and create balanced meals
- Use good exercise techniques and increase their strength and fitness
- Overcome barriers to exercise and find group support
- Enhance self esteem
Participants: CLIMB is designed for Teens who:
- Are AT LEAST 13.5 years old.
- Have physician medical clearance to participate.
- Have at least one responsible adult supporting them throughout the program. Siblings are welcome to participate in several activities.
- Have access to their own transportation.
- Live in the greater Seacoast community
The program runs for 8 to 12 weeks and offers various enrollment/start dates. The minimum commitment is 8 weeks starting March 8, 2014 for those who have less flexibility in their schedule. Participants can choose to engage for the entire 12 weeks (starting February 10th) to help reach their goals. Other program guidelines are:
- Fitness: Two session weekly on Monday and Wednesday from 3:15pm-4:30pm at The Works Family Health and Fitness Center, Somersworth. Minimum attendance: 12 sessions.
- A minimum of one independent exercise session of choice per week. Either at the Works or at home.
- Nutrition: A weekly 1 hour session at CHaD at Wentworth Douglass Hospital followed by a 30 minutes peer support group (adults and teens meet separately). Various dates will be offered. Minimum attendance: 6 sessions with one adult.
- Family recreational activities: Saturday mornings between 9am-10:30am at various location in the Seacoast). Minimum attendance: 4 mornings with at least one adult.
Please call for specific program session dates and requirements.
Keys for Success…
Making lasting lifestyle requires the support of the entire family unit. With that in mind, the CLIMB program offers many benefits for the family including:
- Helpful nutrition resources such as: recipes, fitness ideas, label reading and nutritional guidelines.
- Peer and family support meetings.
- Full family membership to The Works Family Health & Fitness Center for the duration of the program.
- Tips for working out at home
- Ideas for family centered activities on the Seacoast for minimal to no cost.
- How to meet nutrition needs for a growing, active body and inspiration to try and cook foods together as a family.
Two information sessions will be offered at The Works for families to meet with our team, learn more about the program and ask questions. Please RSVP if you wish to join us.
- January 22, 2014 from 5:30-6:30pm
- February 4, 2014 from 5:30 -6:15 pm
As part of the application process we will discuss the program goals and guidelines with the family. Our goal is to assess each family’s readiness to engage fully in the program at this time.
The CLIMB Lifestyle Team - Your support team will consist of:
- A certified Fitness instructor from the Works Family Health & Fitness Center
- A certified dietitian from Wentworth Douglass Hospital.
- A trained youth development facilitator from Zebra Crossings
How to apply:
Apply now as registration is limited. This program is FREE due to generous donations from community members.
- You may apply by calling Wentworth Douglass Hospital's Family Resource Coordinator at 603-740-2366.
- Your family will be sent an application packet which includes a medical clearance form. Closely review the admission guidelines included in this packet prior to submitting your full application.
- Please return the completed application to CHaD Family Resource Coordinator 789 Central Ave, Dover, NH 03820
- Once we have received the application, you will be notified regarding your placement in the program.
To register please call (603) 740-2366 or email firstname.lastname@example.org